The Ultimate Guide To Best Crawling Toys
New parents are always concerned about their baby’s growth. It’s definitely celebratory when your baby hits a milestone like crawling for the first time or eating solid food.
Accordingly, it’s also very normal that you’d want to purchase toys and help your baby achieve the next milestone.
But most new parents don’t have much idea what toys to buy for facilitating crawling or the proper guidelines for using those toys.
Don’t worry, we have made a thorough list of 10 best toys for crawling babies and guidelines for using them right below.
Read on to help your baby out with the right equipment.
10 Best Toys For Crawling Babies Reviews
Babies like toys; it’s a universal truth. But not all toys really help babies crawl and even some can harm them instead of helping.
So, after extensive research, we came up with the following list that’ll definitely help you pick the right crawling toy for your little one.
#1 Melissa Doug Pull-Back Vehicles
Sometimes, both kids and adults love the same thing such as a car. Well, these vehicles aren’t as fancy and automated as your cars but they’re perfect for your little one.
Each vehicle weighs only 8.8 ounces so that your baby can lift the toy easily.
On the other hand, the unique feature of these toys lies in its creation process; the toys are designed by two very jolly parents, Melissa and Doug who have 6 kids.
As the pull-back cars are designed by them, you must believe that they’re enjoyable to kids.
One pack of these toys contains 4 vehicles. Being pull-back vehicles, the toy creates an environment where your kid will work on his/her arm muscles and leg muscles both while playing with and chasing the cars.
Likewise, all 4 vehicles are of different sizes, colours, and shapes. There is a school bus, a fire truck, a family car, and a police car.
Your kid will develop a few skills while playing with this set. The toys help kids work on their fine motor, sensory, communication, and gross motor skills.
If your baby is older than 9 months, this is the perfect gift for them and yourself. Play racing with your kid or let them crawl around chasing the vehicles.
If your baby is older than 9 months, this is the perfect gift for them and yourself. Play racing with your kid or let them crawl around chasing the vehicles.
- 4 different coloured vehicles in one pack.
- Ideal for kids older than 9 months.
- Designed by two parents.
- Each car weighs only 8.8 ounces.
- Vehicles have plastic wheels.
- The cars have a soft cushiony body.
- Easy to pick up.
- Doesn’t require much force for pulling back the vehicles.
- Helps kid develop different skills.
- Kids also work on their arm/leg muscles while cashing the toy.
- More acceleration with little force input.
- Has chemical smell.
- Not durable.
#2 VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball
Do you invest in a toy that your kid can enjoy for a few years? If yes, you should definitely opt for this wiggle and crawl ball from VTech.
The ball is more colourful than anything else we have come across till now. It has buttons shaped like animals all around the equator and also numbers on a line around the ball.
The ball wiggles and rolls away from children on its own encouraging them to follow it. Also, pressing the animal buttons plays different songs and melodies your little can enjoy.
Thus, interactive toys are always better for your kid’s development and this one is just something like that.
There are more than 45 songs and melodies integrated into its system which teaches kids better communication skills.
Likewise, 6 plastic animal buttons are there around the ball and a turtle on the top. Pressing any of these buttons will result in music that teaches your kid about animals, numbers, and colours.
Moreover, numbers printed on the top of the ball flashlight while the ball moves away from your kid.
This encourages babies to chase the balls enthusiastically, which results in the baby crawling after the ball.
Babies aged between 6-months and 3 years should be able to enjoy this interactive toy.
- Comes with 6 buttons resembling animals.
- More than 45 melodies and songs integrated into the toy.
- A highly interactive toy.
- Moves away on its own.
- Numbers are printed on top.
- Encourages kids to crawl after the toy.
- Ideal for long-term use.
- Teaches kids about animals, numbers, and colours.
- The songs and melodies help kids develop communication skills.
- Durable build.
- All of the buttons don’t work.
- Doesn’t work on a carpeted floor.
#3 Sassy Wonder Wheel Activity Center
This crawling toy doesn’t move around like the others we have mentioned here, but it’s as effective as the others.
The wheel activity toy comes with a suction cup attached to its bottom so that you can attach it to a surface.
However, resembling a stand fan, this toy is actually designed to enhance the motor skills and visual tracking of your baby.
As your baby will be spinning the spinner with his/her hands, the arms muscles in his/her body will develop faster.
Likewise, the centrepiece can also be tugged, which encourages your little one to use force with concentration and thus enhancing his/her developing hand-eye coordination.
Furthermore, the bright colour and cascading beads of this wonder wheel attract babies as they like colourful things.
Adults often have no problem connecting sound to sight, but babies need to develop these skills that also help with locomotion.
This toy, with its colourful beads inside the clear wheel, helps babies understand where the sound is coming from so that they can establish a connection between sound and sight.
Texture also plays an important role in babies’ locomotion. So the toy comes with numerous texture points, which encourages tactile exploration in babies.
We highly recommend this toy for parents who want their kids to learn other skills from a young age.
- Comes with suction for attaching to a surface.
- Can be tugged and batted.
- Contains a transparent wheel with beads inside.
- Designed to enhance babies’ motor skills and visual tracking.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination.
- Assists babies in learning to establish the sound-sight connection.
- Durable and flexible.
- The textured surface encourages tactile exploration.
- Excellent for learning many important skills.
- Doesn’t move around.
- Not ideal as a crawling toy.
#4 Bright Starts OBall 1-Piece Rattle & Roll Car
When babies start to crawl, they often have trouble holding onto things as well. These things include little toys among the other stuff.
Keeping this fact in mind, Bright Stars has launched this rattle and roll car that comes with holes on top so that kids can hold it with ease.
The toys are designed in such a way that it’s ideal for kids of all ages starting from 3-month olds.
Usually, babies are teething during 3-months of their age and that’s not an issue because the toy is teetheable as well. Your baby can grow up with the toy and learn many skills while playing with it.
As a crawling toy, this rolling car is amazing. It has little beads inside each wheel which rattle while your little one moves the car around.
The geometric shapes on the top cover allow little fingers to go through it, making it easy for your babies’ inexperienced fingers to grasp the toy comfortably.
So, having made of squeezable materials, the toy is perfect for little children.
Your baby will be able to squeeze it, bite it, and even throw it around. As it’s made of soft materials, the car won’t break if thrown.
We highly recommend the toy for kids who haven’t started crawling yet but are expected to do so soon.
- Made of soft, flexible material.
- Has geometric shape on the top cover.
- Wheels have beads inside them.
- Weighs only 1.44 ounces.
- Excellent build.
- Teetheable toy.
- Can be used by little babies who are 3-months old.
- Very flexible.
- Rolls over any surface easily.
- Babies can play with it for years.
- Very expensive.
- Babies’ fingers can get jammed between the geometrical holes.
#5 Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Crawl Around Car
This one is probably the most fun toy we have reviewed so far. It’s not just any small toy your little one can play with, it’s a whole car for babies!
The car doesn’t drive itself of course, but it gives the impression that your baby is inside a vehicle while he/she plays with the toys that come with it.
We often don’t notice how babies are achieving important milestones like talking, walking, standing up, and crawling. This toy can help your baby achieve all of those things.
Besides, the toy encourages verbal communication through its 75+ sing-along tunes, songs, and phrases.
Dimensions of the car are 28.74 x 18.9 x 12.6 inches; so the height is near babies’ bellies. This level encourages kids to open and close the car door, honk the horn and, and turn the steering wheel.
When your little one has successfully completed an activity, they’ll hear prompts and compliments like “Great job!” and “Honk the horn!”
On the other hand, the dashboard of this car comes with GPS and colourful lights.
There are alphabets printed on the dashboard so that your baby is introduced to words at a young age.
Also, 3-playing modes, imagination, learning, and music are set with this toy. All of these modes shape babies’ development skills and enhance their physical, mental abilities.
- Comes with a ramp built-in.
- 3 balls included in the package.
- Different volume settings.
- Numbers and alphabets printed on the car body.
- Colourful dashboard.
- Assists baby in talking, standing up, and crawling.
- Prompts and rewards help develop communication skills.
- 3-playing modes to develop their mental skills.
- Beautiful steering wheel for locomotive skills development.
- Ideal for kids of all ages.
- The toy doesn’t move.
- Volume settings don’t always work.
#6 Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
This is probably the most colourful toy your baby can own. The bumpy ball comes with many bumps on it; each bump has a different colour and some have different textures.
We loved the simplicity of this bumpy toy. It’s soft, it rolls around like a ball, and it’s lightweight.
The bumps of the ball are chunky, which makes the baby grab them and toss them from one hand to other. Thus, it encourages them grasping and reaching for the ball which results in crawling.
However, after a baby is born, its neural connections are built around the clock. So, toys and environment play a huge role in a baby’s neurological development and motor sensors.
The rattling sounds in this ball assist in creating neural connections in brains of babies aged below 3 years.
Likewise, the textural variety of the bumps in this ball help in developing tactile sensitivity of babies and the rattles make babies more aware of the sound.
Only one bump contains colourful beads and it’s transparent, so your baby will also learn to identify objects using this toy.
On top of that, your baby will have better vision after playing with this toy because of the bright and colourful exterior. We highly recommend this toy for a busy parent.
- Bright toy.
- Different coloured and textured bump.
- One transparent bump with colourful beads inside.
- The toy makes rattling sound when it rolls.
- Soft to touch.
- Soft and lightweight.
- Ideal for little babies.
- Encourages grasping and reaching for the ball.
- Rattling sounds assist in creating neural connections.
- Textural variety help in developing tactile sensitivity
- Help babies develop better vision.
- Not entirely made of soft materials.
- Plastic holding the ball together detaches easily.
#7 VTech Lil’ Critters Roll & Discover Ball
One of the cons in the previous product was that it was cheaply made and the wires would come out.
This one won’t have that problem as the ball is simply soft and flexible that your baby can play with.
This is actually a crawl ball, which will encourage your baby to roll the ball and crawl after it to chase the ball.
Every time your baby tosses or rolls the ball, motion sensors of the toy triggers phrases and sounds. Most crawling toys we have reviewed here do the same so that your baby learns to communicate well while he/she learns to crawl.
Besides, to help in the motor skills development of your little one, this ball comes with a star-shaped button at the top.
When you press this button, it starts to talk about numbers and animals which gives babies an opportunity to learn while playing.
The ball is stuffed with soft materials and the exterior has tags with textures. All of these together help babies develop their tactile skills.
Babies between the ages of 6-months to 2 years can enjoy playing with this toy.
Two AA batteries are required for this ball; they come included in the package but it’s recommended to use new batteries.
- Comes with motion sensors.
- Stuffed with soft materials.
- A completely round ball with tags.
- The textured ball with a printed exterior.
- Can play phrases and sounds.
- Excellently designed to be safe.
- Motion sensors trigger phrases and sounds when the ball is tossed.
- Helps in developing baby’s motor skills.
- Ideal for babies aged between 6 months to 2 years.
- Teaches babies about numbers and animals.
- Music isn’t great.
- Heavy for a kid of 6 months.
#8 Fisher-Price Crawl After Learning Fox
Most babies love animals and bright colours. Keeping that in mind, this particular toy has incorporated the structure of a fox with a bright orange colour.
As your baby is growing, he/she will be able to enjoy this particular toy throughout his/her childhood.
The toy is ideal for babies who are older than 6 months and toddlers can enjoy this as well.
One of the common problems parents face in crawl toys is that they’re not ideal for all kinds of floors.
In that sense, this toy is made to be used on all kinds of floors. Its wheels are smooth and large enough to swivel on the carpet as well.
There are 3 wheels attached to the bottom of this toy which allows babies to swivel the toy in 360 degrees.
The tail and head of the fox are made of soft, cushiony materials which gives a nice appearance and texture to this toy.
Rotating the front wheel attached under the fox will make it switch modes. The modes are sit, spin, and crawl. 3 buttons on the back of the fox are for numbers, alphabets, and music.
The toy comes with over 45 songs, phrases, and sounds as well. Thus, zooming and spinning motions make this toy more enjoyable for babies.
- The toy is shaped like a fox.
- Its head and tail of fox are soft.
- Comes with 3 wheels.
- The front wheel can be rotated for switching modes.
- 3 buttons on the back for learning activities.
- Highly interactive.
- Ideal for both small babies and growing toddlers.
- Excellent as a learning toy.
- Can rotate in 360 degrees.
- Rolls over any kind of surface.
- Very slow.
- The motor is very loud which is annoying to children.
#9 Bright Starts Rock & Glow Unicorn Toy
Kids love unicorns and most other supernatural yet cute creatures. If your kid is old enough to understand shapes and recognizes bright colour, he/she will love this toy.
This unicorn toy is perfect for a curious child. Touching the horn of unicorn will activate music, lights, and other actions.
It might take a little bit of time for your kid to understand the mechanism, but as soon as he/she understands, you should know that your baby’s brain has just developed a little more.
As it’s said, babies develop better skills if they’re learning through playing.
That is what the manufacturers of this toy focused on. 3 options of learning mode in the unicorn toy include shapes, numbers, and colours.
There’s also a chase mode in which the unicorn gallops and rocks in different directions so that your baby crawls trying to chase it.
Moreover, the best thing about this toy is that the unicorn changes whichever direction it was going towards as soon as it’s touched. This keeps babies chasing the toy for hours.
On the other hand, your baby won’t be able to pick up the toy as it weighs 1.37 pounds.
But the unicorn serves its purpose perfectly as a crawling toy which gets babies moving.
- It’s a musical toy.
- The unicorn lights up when the horn is touched.
- Two modes; chase me and learning.
- 3 options in the learning mode.
- Feminine toy.
- Excellent for invoking curiosity in babies.
- Two modes encourage both learning and crawling.
- The toy switches directions when touched.
- Helps in the neurological development of babies.
- Ideal for both little kids and toddlers.
- Gets stuck in the chase mode.
- Many users complained that the sound died after a few months.
#10 Munchkin Mozart Magie Cube
Want your little one to become just like Mozart when he/she grows up? If yes, then the Mozart in your baby should definitely get to enjoy this magic cube.
The sounds that this cube comes with are harp, piano, French horn, violin instrument, and flute.
If your kid often has play dates or you have more than one kid, it’s wise to get this toy as music is always enjoyed better with friends.
Pressing each button plays only one instrument. All of the instruments are played when Orchestra button is pressed and they create a melody.
The composition of Eight MOunceart comes included in the toy, making it a unique and fun musical toy for babies.
Apart from that, the sides of the cube light up according to the tempo and beats of the music that’s being played. Different sides of the cube are different coloured; there’s one side of yellow, purple, green, and magenta.
It runs on 3AA batteries which are included in the package for demo. However, it’s recommended to purchase a new set of batteries before using the cube.
Babies tend to move with the tempo of this cube’s music and also play around it.
So, this results in the development of babies’ muscles and locomotion. Hence, babies of all age and even adults can enjoy this Mozart toy.
- It’s a cube-shaped musical toy.
- Comes with harp, piano, French horn, violin instrument, and flute sound.
- Runs on 3AA batteries.
- Different buttons for playing music.
- Sides light up according to the tempo of the music.
- Excellent for developing babies’ sensory skills.
- Ideal for siblings or twins.
- Different coloured sides help develop babies’ visions.
- Can be rolled with a little force.
- Lights aren’t as bright as expected.
- Gets damaged easily.
Precautions You Must Follow
Before you purchase a toy to facilitate your baby’s crawling process, you need to think and take some precautions.
If you’re a new parent, we don’t expect you know it all. That is why we have made the following guide to help you out.
Avoid Loud Toys
Most crawling toys are musical and some of them might be really loud. Avoid the toys which seem really loud to you as they might damage your babies’ hearing abilities.
Check For Choking Hazards
Don’t buy toys with small parts that can come off as your baby might choke on these parts.
Most crawl toys are electrical. Look for UL approval or ask the manufacturing company to know that the toy is completely safe for your baby.
Purchase Sturdy Toys
If you’re not purchasing a softball made of cushiony materials, look for sturdiness in the toy. Flimsy plastic tends to be light and break easily.
Witnessing your little one crawl for the first time is something you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Besides, crawling toys not only help your kid learn to crawl but also help in the development of other skills like communication and motor skills.
Therefore, before you pick the best one for your little one, see what your baby enjoys more. That way you will be able to purchase the best crawling toy without much hassle.
You can also opt for a toy that both your baby and you can enjoy. Whatever you purchase, make sure to make memories with it.